Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Exploring the U.S.

In fourth grade we have been studying the regions of the United States. We’ve broken down our country into five regions and studied each region separately. While studying each region, we “visited” different important places and learned more about the economy of each region. As an initial wrap-up activity, students wrote a postcard to a relative from one of the places we visited in the region. Students got very creative with the design of their postcards and included great details in their letters. However, I wanted more from my students and wanted them to show me what they learned in a different way.
After a meeting with our LRC director and all around technology guru, Mrs. Sayre, an idea sparked. She was telling us about an iPad app called SeeSaw and I immediately thought about how I could use this app to enhance my postcard idea. SeeSaw would allow my students to create a more interactive postcard that they could draw and record their voice over. Even better than that, I would be able to share my students’ work with their parents. I could print off a QR code to send home with students for their parents to scan and hear their postcard.
I was completely blown away with what my students were able to produce! It was amazing to see my students so focused and engaged. Some students were very hard on themselves while recording and wanted it to be perfect. My students liked writing the postcards on construction paper, but absolutely loved creating their postcards with SeeSaw! I can’t wait to find other ways to use SeeSaw throughout the school year.     


Click the link below to hear and see Emma's postcard!


No comments:

Post a Comment