Thursday, October 5, 2017

Using talk moves to increase our thinking

Last week we started our measurement module in Math. Students have been building on their knowledge through exploring, connecting, and using talk moves to deepen their understanding.

Talk moves have been proven to help aid students understanding. Students are held accountable not only for their learning, but also for others. Students have to be actively listening in order to help discover, clarify or change their thinking. We have been working hard the past few weeks learning how to use talk moves. We have been practicing how to use talk moves to hold more meaningful conversations.

Students exploring centimeter cubes.
Talking to their shoulder partner about what they notice. 
Students discussing measurement
and why it is important.
Students being active listeners!



Students using a hand signal to show they agree with their partners, team, or class thinking.
They can then add on or clarify what the person just said. We are learning some sentence
stems to help us have more meaningful conversations.
"I can add on...." "I agree with you because..." " I agree with that idea, and I'd like to add..." 

I heard students say: " Good job! You didn't add any extra space!"
                                  " Wow! I agree with you! I like how you measured it correctly!"
                                  "Amazing! I noticed you took your time."


When we disagree we help our partner. We can 
say what we are thinking our ask questions to help
us understand why they thought that way.  


During this time I heard students say:
" Hmmm. I have to disagree because you did a messy
job. How are we supposed to mark when we have only
one cube?" 

"I have to disagree with your estimate. When we looked 
at the last object it was 9 cm long. This one is shorter. 
So how can it be a bigger number?"

" I don't think that is correct because when we are measuring
an object we should start where?" 




While we are just beginning to incorporate talk moves into our 
learning, I am already seeing students engaged more and 
producing higher quality thinking! 


Sometimes we don't always agree
with our partner. We have been learning
that it is ok to respectfully disagree.

"I disagree with you because..."
" I really don't agree with that. I'm thinking.."
"Wait, but I was thinking..."

No comments:

Post a Comment