Wednesday, May 2, 2018

K is for Kindness

At Goodrich, we have been participating in an ABC Countdown to celebrate the last few days of the school year. Each letter stands for a different activity to do, and today's letter is "K." The theme was show KINDNESS to everyone today by writing compliments. I had an activity planned for my students to do, but they were enjoying it so much, we took it to the next level!

I created Compliment Cards for students to write to each person that sits at their table, to ensure every student received cards. What I did not expect, however, was how excited they were and how seriously they took this activity. Before we wrote, we brainstormed some ideas of what were some kind things you could say about someone else in the class. For Kindergarten students, I expected words like "nice," and "fun," but they surprised me and came up with much more meaningful compliments!

Here are some examples:

                                     
                                      

The students came up with meaningful compliments to give to their classmates all on their own (and they even spelled the words for these cards on their own- proud teacher moment!!!) Many students even went above and beyond the expectation and decided to write additional cards to other friends in the class, to teachers, and to their 6th grade buddies. I was so proud of them and their thoughtfulness. 

In addition to compliment cards, one student said that she wished she could write a card to everyone in the class! While I love the enthusiasm, we do have other subjects to get to. 😊 So instead of writing individual cards to everyone, we created a class poster of why we love our class. Here is what they came up with: 


I am so proud of the academic and social growth these kindergartners have made throughout this year. After seeing this activity, I think they are ready to head to 1st grade! 

No comments:

Post a Comment