Friday, October 27, 2017

Kindergarten Movement Breaks

For Kindergartners, it is difficult to stay focused on a given task for a long period of time. That is why we frequently take movement breaks throughout the day. A common break that many classrooms throughout the school use is GoNoodle, which is an online website that allows students to sing and dance to get some of their energy out before refocusing on school work. While I really enjoy doing these, my favorite thing to do with my students is teach them simple yoga and breathing techniques to help them calm down after a high-energy time of day.

After students come in from recess/lunch, PE, etc. I usually doing some stretching exercises with my students to help them calm down and refocus. Sometimes I use the ones provided on GoNoodle, and sometimes I use ones that I teach them myself. What is really beneficial about using these techniques is that it helps students self-regulate their behavior by recognizing that while they may have a lot of energy, it is time to refocus and get back to work. My favorite stretches to do with students are balancing stretches, because it takes a lot of concentration and determination to stay still and balance in different poses. This is very beneficial after a high-energy activity, because it forces them to slow down and focus their energy into one calm stretch. Plus, it is pretty funny to watch Kindergartners try to balance! We cannot hold the poses very long, and it usually ends in a lot of laughs.

Besides for just stretching with my students, I also really enjoy using relaxation music throughout the day while we’re working. I play soft, instrumental music in the background and I have found it really helps students stay focused on their task. It also helps students refrain from goofing off with friends, because they get upset if they’re being too loud and can’t hear the music! All around it is very beneficial and motivating to students when I play music in the background (and I love listening to it too!)

Here are links to some of our class favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd4j9osCNT4&t=10167s&scrlybrkr=5b08e187

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7ChMy3qROI&t=6360s&scrlybrkr=5b08e187

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGHVnr87iiE&t=2587s&scrlybrkr=5b08e187

We usually use these songs during independent work time, like writing activities, journal writing, and phonics centers. I am so proud of my students because they have even gotten to the point where they can recognize the class is getting too noisy, and students will ask if we can put music on. I love seeing them beginning to recognize what they need as learners to work hard and succeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment