Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Kindness Challenge

First graders are always up for a challenge!  I wanted to incorporate more kindness in my classroom so I spent some time over the summer finding out what I could do to tie the act of kindness into what we already do in first grade.  Here are some of the things we are doing in the Puppy Pound to promote a kindness attude:

1.  Our first unit of Social Studies was on community and being a citizen.  We learned that citizens are good sports, are respectful, are responsible, follow rules and play fair.  Light-bulbs went on and students made the connection that if you are a good citizen then you are showing kindness.  My light-bulb went on and we made the Citizenship Chain to show ways that we are being a good citizen.




2.  I found a FREE Kindness Club Challenge (thanks SaraJ Creations).  Each month, we hang an act of kindness in the hallway.  This month it is sharing.  When a student demonstrates the act, they simply sign their name.  No one needs to know what they did, or who they showed their kindness to, it is just a way for them to check that they are showing that they care.  It is a good way for me to see who may need a little encouragement to show a little caring.




3.For our class meeting, we start off with a Compliment Circle ( shout out to ourelemntarylives.com).
We sit in a circle with our legs stretched out in front of us.  I generally start by giving a student a compliment to model what compliments sound like.  That person who received the compliment,  says thank you and tucks their legs to their chin.  That person then gives someone else a compliment and that person says thank you and tucks their legs and so on.  If your legs are stretched out, you still need a compliment.We continue until everyone has received a compliment and their legs are tucked.  What a great way to start the day!







I'm sure my kindness folder will grow throughout the year as well as the kindness in my classroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment