1. Mental Stimulation- Studies have shown that brains that staying mentally active can slow the process of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. While this is not something we think about when we think of grade school students it is never too early to start to prevent something that will affect us as we age. Doing puzzles and playing games such as chess can help keep our brains stimulated.
2. Stress Reduction- While you wouldn’t think a 2nd or 3rd grader would be stressed about much
all of us get stressed about things from, friends, family,and school. A well written book or novel can let the tension drain and take you away from your stress.
3. Knowledge-Everything you read gives you bits of information that could come in handy sometime. You may lose some things during your lifetime but knowledge can never be taken away from you.
4. Vocabulary- Increasing your vocabulary by reading gives you the opportunity to expand your fluency and can give an added boost to your self esteem and confidence.
5. Memory improvement- When you read a new book you remember an assortment of things such as characters, plot etc. every new memory forges new brain pathways and strengthens existing ones strengthening our most vital organ the brain.
6. Stronger Thinking Skills- Solving a mystery before the ending, making predictions, analyzing the text and discussing text are skills necessary later as students grow into adults to recognize and solve problems.
7. Focus- We currently live in a fast paced world with our attention being drawn in many different directions. Video games, Twitter, Facebook all change quickly. This can cause stress levels to rise. When we are reading a book all of our attention is on that one story. Our focus and concentration improve when reading.
8. Better Writing Skills- Who would think that reading could improve writing? Reading books expands vocabulary and gives the readers examples of how a good writer writes.
9. Tranquility- Reading can bring an inner sense of calm and peace
10. It’s FREE! Your public library has thousands of options available to you from mystery, science fiction, ebooks you name it! Check it out and read with your kids!