Thursday, April 7, 2016

A Warm Welcome Back!

It feels good to be back!!!!


This week, I returned from my maternity leave and am back in the classroom. Although I have been home with my son since the end of December, it feels like I blinked and it is now April! While I was gone, I often thought of my first graders, and wondered how things were going at Goodrich.

Now that I am back and have almost a week under my belt, I am finding that things went very well these past few months. I love seeing how my students have grown! As I conference with my class and see the writing that they are producing, the chapter books they are selecting, and the two-digit math problems they are answering---I am SO impressed!

At the beginning of the week, we focused on classbuilding and teambuilding activities to reunite the classroom. We did an activity called Taking Stickies. For this activity you write four of your favorite things, one per post-it. As you walk around the room and interact with your classmates you notice any post-its that are on your classmates board that you also are interested in. When you find a topic that you both have in common, you take their post-it and add it to your board. By the end, you have numerous different post-its from many different classmates. It is fun to see what similarities you share with the friends in our classroom.

We also participated in an activity called Speedball. The object of the game was to toss the stuffed animal to a classmate and remember the order in which we tossed it to our classmates. Then, we played it a second time and we had to toss it in the exact same order as the first round. Next time we play, we want to time it so we can beat our old time!


I can’t wait to see what the next few months bring to our first grade classroom. We still have a lot of learning to do, and I am so excited to be a part of it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment