Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Fun (Inexpensive) Ways to Exercise!

A few weeks ago with my 1st and 2nd graders I taught Hula Hoop skills for the first time!  Sure, I use hula hoops with my classes all the time and I’ve even had hula-hooping as a station, but I have never actually taught the different skills or tricks you can do with a hoop.

It was awesome!  I had a fun time teaching it and the kids loved it!  None of us (including me) are experts by any means with the hula hoop, but we were able to try some new things and got to exercise in a fun, new way.

This got me thinking… 
1 - I will always do a small hula-hooping unit with my primary grades each year! 
2 - I can’t wait to get my daughter a hula hoop to have at home!  
3 - Hula Hoops are cheap!  You can go to any store and find a Hula Hoop for less than $5.00. 
AND 4 - All of this also applies to JUMP ROPES!

So... If you are ever looking for an inexpensive toy to entertain someone for hours that also has great health benefits, try out a Hula Hoop or Jump Rope!  I have listed below a bunch of Skills/Tricks you can do with a hoop or a rope.

Hula Hoop Skills/Tricks:

  • Waist
  • Neck
  • Knees
  • Ankle (Like a "Skip-It")
  • 1 Arm
  • 2 Arms
  • Finger
  • 1 Leg (while lying on your back)
  • Whole Body (use it as a jump rope)
  • "Walk the Dog"
  • "Spin it like a Coin”

Jump Rope Skills/Tricks:
·         Arms Cross Jump
·         2 Feet Together
·         Bell – Jump Forward and Backward (12 o’clock, 6 o’clock)
·         Jumping Jack
·         Cross Feet Jump – jumping jack but crossing feet
·         Double Under – Jump and pass the rope under your feet twice before jumping again
·         Hop
·         Kick Step
·         Pendulum/Skier – Jump Side to Side (3 o’clock, 9 o’clock)
·         Rocker Step/Charlie Brown
·         Scissors (Stride Jumps)
·         Shuffle Step (Boxing Step)
·         Tripod Jump (2 handles in one hand)

No comments:

Post a Comment