Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Composer Club Boosts Student Creativity!

Last week we began our first after school session for the year. Since this is my third year hosting a group after school I decided to figure out a way to get the students creating in a fun and musical way. I have created Goodrich School's first ever Composer Club. Students in third and fourth grade signed up to be a part of the class and I was overwhelmed with how many students wanted to be a part of the group and spend a little extra time learning and enjoying music.

The first week we visited a website called the toy theater and created our very own pieces of music by clicking different notes and dragging them to various places in a sequence. We were then able to play on some of the pitched percussion classroom instruments. As students completed their online masterpieces they were filled with joy as I walked around and listened to their creativity at work. They seemed so excited over the different combinations they could make and what each different sequence sounded like.

Once we added the instruments it became even more joyous to hear the students recreating their compositions on a real live instrument. The louder my classroom became, I knew, they were truly engaged!

I feel privileged to be able to watch these children's creativity at work. There are so many more fun music writing websites and instruments for them to explore throughout the coming weeks and I can't wait to hear what they come up with next!

No comments:

Post a Comment