Tuesday, December 2, 2014

What does learning look like?


Classrooms today are completely different then when I was growing up. About the only thing that has stayed the same is the flag at the front of the room! While some districts still have desks piled high with books much of how our students learn has changed. We are so lucky to have the support of an administration that encourages the use of new tools for learning in the classroom. The newest addition to our learning toolbox are the iPad minis. 





This week I handed iPad minis to a group of fourth grade students. I gave them very little instruction as to how to use them, deciding that I wanted to just let them explore. It was interesting to see their interest and engagement take off. As I walked around the room I heard students talking to each other about what and how they were using the new apps.

Some of the things I heard included students teaching each other.

" Let me show you!"
"Just press the home key."
"Here's how you make a movie."

Within a half hour several students had figured out how to create a trailer with video and sound. Others learned how to alter photos that they took of each others. By the end of their first half hour the students felt successful and eager to learn and do more with the iPads. This level of engagement with the iPad minis lets me know that our tech savvy students know how to problem solve and work in a collaborative environment to help each other to be successful. I can't wait to see what else they produce!



No comments:

Post a Comment