Monday, August 21, 2017

Welcome to the family!

Every year Goodrich School gains many new gators to our family.  This school year was no different as we gained over 35 new students.  What I find one of the best parts of my job is that I get to meet with all of the new students and get to know them.  For many of them, this may be the only time I talk to them, for others, I may be someone who they go to in an occasional problem.  NO matter what their back story is, I take the time to meet them and make sure Goodrich is starting to feel like a home to them.

As a child, I never had to be a new student.  I went to the same school from kindergarten through sixth grade.  I could not imagine what it would be like to be the “new kid” in school.  I imagine that I would be a nervous wreck and not want to be there.  I am in awe that almost every student I met seemed so adjusted only after 2 days of school.  They already had made friends and loved Goodrich School.  I give so much credit to these kids and how much courage they have to enter a new building and insert themselves into a new school so quickly.

The fact that all of these kids are so comfortable so quickly also should be kudos to the students and staff at Goodrich.  All of our classrooms spend the first 3 days of school doing what we call “significant 72” activities.  These are get-to-know you activities as well as team building activities.  These activities put everyone on the same page, no matter how long you have been at Goodrich. 

So welcome new students and families to the Goodrich family!


No comments:

Post a Comment