It is hard to think about the end of the school year, but it is closer than we realize. I can already see the stress of end of the school year and all that it brings.
It is important that we keep the moral up in students in order to make it through the end of the year. One way that we can do this is to build in positive emotions throughout the day. There are many ways this can be accomplished at school. I know that many teachers use classbuilding and teambuilding weekly in their classrooms. They also use resources such as GoNoodle to boost energy in the classroom.
However, instilling these positive emotions in students starts at home. We all know that if we go to work in a bad mood, it is hard to be positive throughout the work day. The same may apply to our kiddos.
Some easy ways to help do this include:
- Celebrate successes: Start with a positive! After school, have your child tell you one positive thing that happened in school. You can also ask your child about what they are looking forward to in the morning before school.
- Joke Jar: Keep a list of jokes in the car and say them on the way to school.
- Power Posing: Simple yoga poses can be beneficial in starting a kid’s day off in a relaxed manner. There are many books and YouTube videos that can help with this.
- Guided Imagery: a script that leads students through a calming sequence that is read to them. A quick Google search will give you more than enough resources.
- Video Clips: We all know that kids LOVE YouTube, why not start their day watching a comical video clip.
- Music: Let them listen to music of their choice while getting ready for school or eating breakfast.
- Warm Weather Walk/Nature: being outside, especially now that it is becoming warmer out, can be very good for anyone. Get some fresh air and go for a family walk.
Enjoy the spring weather and have a happy fourth quarter!!!