Monday, December 14, 2015

You want me to do WHAT?

As an art teacher who sees her students once weekly, I often put myself in the child's position participating in my classroom. In each class, students are attempting to understand quickly what the teacher is presenting and are attentively observing the skills needed and materials provided in the teacher's brief introduction or demonstration.  Those cooperative listening and observing skills are essential to the art room classroom experience.  I greatly appreciate the enthusiastic willingness of my students and marvel at the creations that occur as students respond to the design activity. 

Recently first and second grade students painstakingly cut and glued assorted collage materials to create human figures.  They learn to cut symmetrical shapes for body and clothing.  Punches were used to create cut-out paper shapes. The visual results are truly works of art and enjoyably expressive.  I hope they will be framed and hung for display once they go home.

While planning the collages, students  were inspired by the collage works of great artists Romare Bearden and Jacob Lawrence.










No comments:

Post a Comment