Thursday, October 2, 2014

Grateful to a Teacher


  “If all my possessions were taken from me with one exception, I would choose to keep the power of communication, for by it I would soon regain all the rest."
                                                                         Daniel Webster

A poster containing this quote was hanging on the wall in my fourth grade classroom when I was a student. It meant nothing to me during those first few months. I looked at it each day as it was hanging over the blackboard (Yes, I had blackboards in school!) but never understood it. Then, in February, Mrs. Cowen began to read the story of Helen Keller to our class during a novel study. She pointed out the quote by Daniel Webster, which by this point I had memorized, and asked each of us to imagine what it would be like not to be able to communicate a thought or a need.  We role-played different scenarios where our intended message was not comprehended by the listener and vice versa. I was fascinated and knew from then on what career path I wanted to explore. Years later, I am still just as fascinated with the field today as I was when I was nine years old.

Speech/language pathologists without a doubt have the BEST job at school. We work with students of all ages. My students range in age from 3 to 15 years and have a variety of speech/language challenges including articulation, phonological difficulties, language disorders/delays, fluency, and voice disorders. We play games, talk, laugh, learn, and work hard. Most people think a speech/language pathologist’s job involves helping students produce speech sounds correctly. However, that is only a small part of our job. We teach students to listen attentively to speech instruction; follow directions; build vocabulary skills; make inferences from what they hear and read; teach them to ask questions by breaking down subject matter; and further develop linguistic concepts. Students are taught how to initiate a conversation, expand on a topic, and how to change topics in a conversation so that they can improve social and pragmatic language skills.  Learning such

Language is the basis for almost all forms of academic learning. Without a solid language base, gaps in learning and achievement become more apparent. Speech/Language pathologists help fill those gaps.  It is an awesome responsibility, and one that I have embraced throughout my career. Thank you, Mrs. Cowen, for this wonderful gift!
Learning spatial concepts.


Learning the present progressive tense and personal pronouns.

Learning new vocabulary can be fun!














No comments:

Post a Comment